Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Genesis 1-3

He did it! Braden memorized Genesis Chapters 1-3 and said them in front of his whole AWANA group at Sparks in January. He was SUPER nervous (but still wanted to do it) and excited at the same time. He started and then said the wrong thing early on in chapter 1...which he NEVER had trouble with. He didn't just know it from start to finish...he knew EACH verse and could start from anywhere in the three chapters and finish. He froze. As in didn't move. As in I was dripping sweat nervous and wanting to SAVE him. Didn't talk for a good two minutes...seriously. I wanted to say it for him! Dave was trying to show it to him in the bible but for some reason he didn't want to look...didn't want to move. Finally Brian whispered, "have him start over" and inside I was screaming let me give him a hug! He said he did want to start over and somehow (AMAZINGLY) was able to totally overcome it and said all three chapters without a problem. OH MY WORD. I was surprised because he hadn't had trouble in the past but amazed that he was able to stand there for that long in silence and still do it! I was one proud mama! This is my little introvert who shared so many verses with his friends and teachers. At the end Mr. Comer figured it out to be over 70 verses and his friends were high fiving him and congratulating him. This was a great experience for him in public speaking and learning to overcome obstacles and FINISHING. Seems like that is what God has been teaching our family over the last year...finish. When I asked Braden how in the world he was able to start over and finish he told me it was because he remembered me in my race (1/2 marathon) when I was so sick but still finished. I was SO thankful in that moment..when he said that...that I had finished. Who knew God would use it only a few months later to give my sweet boy strength and determination to finish. Awesome. We were so proud of our boy for hiding God's word in his heart and for sharing it with everyone. Can't wait to see what God has in store for him! He's already decided to memorize Mark! He's just finished chapter 1...will be neat to see how far he gets. When I ask him why he wants to memorize so much (because he doesn't have to for AWANA...he is totally driven to do it) he says because he wants to know as much of God's word as possible. Awesome.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

This is absolutely amazing! God must have great things in store for this little boy...