Wednesday, December 15, 2010

ephram's surgery day



Ephram had his circumcision and penal plasty surgery this morning. We all got up early and dropped Kinsey off at the klick's while the other kiddos went to do school (and drink hot cocoa, watch a movie and eat peanuts) at Brian's work. I was planning on taking all four kids to the surgery (and do school while we waited) but was informed the day before that they were not allowed in pre op or post op. Braden's surgery was at Wake Med and Cailey was allowed with me there. Thankfully circumstances and good friends made it possible for me to take just Ephram.



When we got there (early, of course) we had a little time to kill and he got many oohs and ahhs in the waiting room. Quickly we went to pre op where nurses continued to fall in love with my sweet baby. They were SHOCKED that he hadn't had anything to eat or drink since 6:00 pm the night before because he was so happy. We read books, played cars, laughed, sang songs, and talked while people came in and out taking temps, getting papers signed, etc. Oh, and I met with Dr. Wiener for all the details of the surgery.


At 8:45 they told me he needed to take a yucky medicine and it would be best if I gave it to him...and could i please make sure he swallowed a little bit of it. I layed him down and he ended up 'drinking' it with no problem and then said, "yucky". The anesthesiologists were shocked at how easy it was...and said it was definitely a record. Then they carried him off and I went to wait.



Duke was great because they had a pager and kept me updated constantly. I knew when it was started, that it was going well, where the IV was, etc. Friends ping chatted me to help me through the waiting and it was finally over an hour and a half later. I was eventually called back and went to the saddest cry (which was identical to Braden's when he woke up from it).


Ephram could NOT be soothed...by me OR his doggie. It was almost like he was a different baby and I hadn't heard this cry before. I remember the SAME thing with Braden and was prepared as he reacted the same way to the anesthetic. I just rocked him and sang while the nurse gave him more medicine so he could sleep it off. His thumb that he sucks was all wrapped up so they could keep his pulse...and that made him mad too. He was wheezing and breathing funny while he slept but the nurse said his heart rate, etc. was fine.

After about 30 min he woke up agitated and I gave him a juice box which he drank down...and then another. He was good and awake and wanted to hug his doggie (and mommy) at this point. I also gave him graham crackers for each hand...which he cutely took turns eating from. He still cried off and on but was sounding more like himself. Then the IV came out (of his foot) and I changed him and we went to pick up the kiddos.

He was upset off and on for the car ride and ended up falling asleep. When we got home (12:30) I put him down in his crib and he slept until 3:00. I didn't really know what to expect but didn't have a chance to pick up his pain med because he threw up a little in the car on the way home so I didn't want to stop and get it. I gave him advil but that didn't seem to help. I just rocked and rocked him all afternoon:). Oh...and he continued to have two (square) graham crackers (one in each hand) and ate them pretty quickly. Let's just say his diet consisted of lots of graham crackers, mandarin oranges, juice, water, and one bite of banana today.

He was pitiful because he would ask to 'pay' (play) so i'd put him down and he'd smile big, get a truck and then scream because it hurt. He'd say, "help me! OW! pee pee! OW! help me!" and just scream to be held and then we'd do it all over again. I'd rock him for about 5 min and he'd asked to 'pay' again...and it would last a minute at the longest. At this point I was desperate for stronger pain meds so Brian came home early to get it. By the time Brian got home to us (because apparently not ALL CVS's carry the baby narcotics) Ephram was SCREAMING and in SO MUCH PAIN. I turned on an elmo video for him to watch and he was able to be distracted by it for about 15 minutes before he was just in pain again.



We gave him the pain meds but it took a while for it to kick in. It was time to go to AWANAS and I just couldn't bear leaving him. I stayed home and read him tons of books then tried to put him down. He was too sad so I put him in my bed and WE fell asleep around 7:00 until everyone came home and woke us:(. He went back down in his crib after being rocked and is sleeping now. Praying his pain will lessen as the night goes on but we're going to wake him to keep him on pain meds through tomorrow. He's a stomach sleeper (like his mama) but is in too much pain to sleep on his tummy.


Braden wasn't in as much pain as ephram is in but he has a very high pain tolerance and he didn't have as much done...including no stitches. I can remember the first day being hard from the anesthesia but not from pain.

At 11:00 pm Ephram woke up crying and we gave him more pain medicine. At this point we're going to set the alarm to try and keep ahead of it at least through tomorrow.

No comments: