Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas To All!

My co worker, Janice, told me about a tradition her family has on Christmas day and at first I thought it was silly. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me so we tried it today and it was great! She said that every Christmas they take all day to open presents and most years don't finish until 9:00 pm. They appreciate each gift, take their time, try them out and don't have the 'let down' that Christmas is over after 30 minutes of opening presents in the morning. Although we didn't keep going until 9:00 pm we did finish up around 1:00. If we didn't have company it would have been even longer but it was hard to keep it up with the craziness of extra people and a toddler. It really was neat because the kids took turns opening gifts and then we would open them up and check them out. We played the new games they got, tried on new clothes, and read new books. They weren't concerned with opening presents while we were playing and no gifts were ignored or tossed aside. It is a tradition that we will keep and hopefully will be as successful in the future as it was today. We also had the kids pick out gifts for each other and us this year and that was pretty cute/interesting. Braden knew right away he wanted to get Brian an ornament and we shopped all around before he decided on a Star Wars one:). Cailey didn't really know what she wanted to get him but wanted to go to a bookstore. Once there she decided he would like a Simpson's calendar...you can tell I had NO influence on that one...but it's the thought that counts! I think she was going for the cartoon character, but it's just so neat to see them choosing for others and being so proud of themselves! Cailey got me a scarf, which Brian said she wanted to get me right from the start. Braden got me slippers...but I think Brian suggested that because Braden couldn't think of anything. They are really comfy though, so I'm glad he did!


I just love the jammie pics!


Brian loves his ornament:)


Breakfast break between opening gifts


The favorites this year were...Cailey: her microphone with her
new suitcase in a close second. She's been FASCINATED with
microphones as far back as I can remember and was wishing she
could sing in the microphone at church just last night. The relatives
were tired of it but it didn't bother me:) Braden: his Lincoln Logs,
books, and Connectagons. He is excited about everything really:)
He and Brian built some really cool things with the Lincoln Logs
and I helped him make some neat designs with the connectagons.


Cailey had lots of fun with Uncle Matt and helping
Nicky open his gifts.


I couldn't resist a picture in their
Christmas garb


This is the first year that my whole family has been
together for Christmas in 12 years! I'm glad that Matt, Leigh and
Nicky live close enough now to come join us for Christmas!

No comments: