Sunday, January 6, 2008

Gotta Love Public School

I've struggled with what to do about the schooling option for a long time but finally decided to send Cailey to a public school. There's been ups and downs...I can see that's she's grown in some areas (fine motor) but many of the things they do are way below her skill set. I'm still debating pulling her out next year and homeschooling her...or maybe switching schools-who knows what will happen. We are trying to get her into a great charter school but the chances are slim to none that she'll get in. Anyway, for some background on this story, Cailey's been out of school for Christmas break and just went back this past Wednesday. Let me just say that this week was useless! She had a blast and loves it (and I know that's very important and agree that she needs to have fun) but educationally there wasn't much meat. She came home on Friday with this on her head. When I asked her what she did she told me her friend Suzy had a birthday party and they had a clown, got tattoos, ate cupcakes and ice cream sandwiches watched a movie and had free centers. Really, I mean why did I send her away for seven hours when she basically partied all day? The whole week before they got out for Christmas was the same way...those of you who are doing the public school thing feel free to send the encouraging words. I just keep telling myself that Brian and I went to public school and turned out ok!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - you know we all think you are the best teacher for your children and probably ours as well. Start a homeschool academy and we'll send our kids to you.



SC

Eve said...

I know that I don't have any kids yet but Joe and I have talked about this too and I am still up in the air of what to do granted it is a long way off. I don't know exactly how that school runs but in the K class that one of my students is in it is very educational even during snack time.

anthonyandbeth said...

i don't know what to tell you! i'm so sorry you've had a negative experience. i'm sure i would be feeling the same way in your shoes. you seem like a pretty amazing teacher to me so i'm sure you would be a great homeschool mom. i know you'll figure out what's best for your family in time. God will give you wisdom. it truly is the most difficult decision...school. :(