Saturday, January 5, 2008

Past Tense Problems

Brian asked me a couple weeks ago when Braden would learn how to use past tense words correctly. I didn't really know what he was talking about so I started paying attention more closely. Braden said, "I putted the bowl away" right after that. OH...I get it. So I told Brian it was cute and he'd get it eventually as long as we modeled the correct way to say things. Two weeks later it's driving me BONKERS!!!! Everything he says is in the wrong form! I really don't remember Cailey doing this and neither does Brian. So samples of Braden's past tense problems are: goed, putted, getted, stopded, swimmed, singed, takeded, rided, losed, seeed, catched, sitted, eated, gotted, founded, fixeded, takeded, swinged...really I could go on and on and on! I wish now that Brian didn't point it out because apparently I was oblivious before and it didn't bother me!! I know in the future this will be a cute memory....one that I'm sure I'll wish I could get back:) My favorite parenting quote (and I have no idea who said it first) "The days are long but the years are short" So true!

4 comments:

The Hilemans said...

Kellen and Addie still do the same thing! I tried to correct but gave up and figured they will eventually get it once they realize nobody speaks that way! My pediatrician says the "days are long ..." quote to me every time I take a kid in.

Sherri said...

You have the best behaved kids! He'll outgrow the speech issues and you'll miss it, but some parents are plagued by their kids' bad behaviors for life. You are so blessed.

anthonyandbeth said...

he'll get it eventually! i hardly ever try to correct the kids, i know they'll get it and before i know it there will be nothing "little" left about them! it's probably silly but it just seems like when they say something not quite right they still seem little. i guess i'm holding on to whatever i can! :)

Heather said...

I agree about not correcting! That's why I let Cailey still say "lello" instead of Yellow:). It's just funny because it seems like EVERYTHING he says has an extra 'ed' on it!