Saturday, August 22, 2009

7



Today is my baby girl's 7th birthday!! Happy Birthday Cailey Anne!

From Daddy:

It was 6:21 AM which seemed awfully early to be having a baby, but yet here you were all six pounds three ounces of you with a head full of black hair which I was pretty sure was the three ounces. Seven years ago you blessed our lives by entering into them.

You were the first one.

More than that you were a peanut and I, not having much experience with newborns, was not entirely sure what to do with you which is why you have mamas since they somehow know everything you are supposed to do. On that day, not thirty minutes after you entered the world, Mama was tired and they handed you to me. I sat in a chair holding you and you fussed and cried and it dawned on me. No one was coming to take care of you, that would be us. If you cried, we would be the ones to make it better, comfort your boo-boo, satisfy your hunger or simply let you cry because that is what you wanted to do.

Since you were the first one, you taught me more than I probably taught you in the first year. That stands as a fairly large accomplishment for someone so small yet you do have that notch on your belt. As I said, mamas know what to do but daddys never think much about how much to feed the baby or when they should go to the doctor or really everything. From my little one, my first one I learned all the important things about being a daddy. From changing diapers to being sure not to fall asleep when you are laying on my chest lest I end up dumping you on the floor (which I did...sorry about that!)

On that day seven years ago, a light was brought to bear in our world, a light that has not diminished or waned in all that time. Like the black hair that turned blonde, the light of joy you have brought to us with every smile, laugh and sometimes outbursts of unintellgible exuberance has only grown brighter and steadier. You were God's blessing to us. Beautiful and sweet with those bright blue eyes and never ceasing spirit of love.

Happy Birthday, Cailey Anne, our first one.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Happy Birthday Cailey!! Hope you had a wonderful day!!

Sandy M. said...

This was SO sweet, Brian! Save this for Cailey for when she grows up - she will treasure it!