Wednesday, October 7, 2009

....till it's gone

After my 5k in June I spent the summer doing my best to keep up the running in the heat and averaged about 10-12 miles a week. It was SO hard for me to run even in the early morning. I wasn't dealing well with the humidity at all but didn't want to give it up.

Beth decided that she was going to run a 1/2 marathon in November and asked if I wanted to join her. At that point the most I had EVER run was 3 miles so I thought there was no way I could do it. I still asked her to send me the training schedule and said that I'd follow the schedule and take one run at a time.

We started training in late July with a midnight 4 mile run on treadmills in a very HOT room...but I did it. That was very encouraging to me! I ran by myself during the week and we'd do our 'long runs' together on Saturday mornings...at 5:30! I did the 5 (after only running a 4 mile one time)for a couple of weeks, then 6, and 7...every week thinking there was NO WAY I'd be able to do it. BUT I kept on training with the attitude of taking one run at a time.

The day of the 8 mile run wasn't such a great one, I had a TERRIBLE time breathing and walk/ran the rest after 6.5 miles. After that I went the dr. for all sorts of tests, ekg, etc, and was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I was pretty surprised because I'd been running for a while at that point but never had a problem unless I went over 5 miles. Anyway, so I got an inhaler and kept on running. I did the 9, and then the 10 mile run....craziness! I NEVER thought I'd be able to do this...let me just say that if I can do it than ANYONE can. I had finally signed up for the 1/2 marathon but still didn't believe I'd be able to do it...and by do it I mean run the entire time without walking. I was still taking 'one run at a time' but had to sign up because the race was almost full.

then.i.got.mono.

I never realized how badly I wanted to run that race or even run at all until it was taken away. I haven't run in over a week. I haven't taken that much time off since I started running. I had been doing over 20 miles a week...and now nothing. I'm so disappointed and afraid that I won't be able to run again. I don't want to get out of shape and have to build up my cardio again. I don't want my legs to get weak again. This is such a 'mind game' for me and I finally felt like I was winning the game. I was running 5 miles by myself during the week..and 3...and 4.... and then my long run with Beth (without her there is NO WAY I could have done it!) I'm so bummed!

I guess the main reason for writing this post is so I can remember how much I came to love running. How I CHOSE to get up EVERY Saturday morning at 5:00am to RUN so I could make it to Cailey's soccer games by 8:00.

I know I can run another race and it could be MUCH worse than mono but I am still annoyed at the whole thing. Because of this I did learn that I LOVE TO RUN! I NEVER thought those words would come out of my mouth, but I do. It's not easy. Even 3 miles can be hard some days. I don't have many 'easy' runs. BUT I get them done and go out for another run again and again...so I must love it:)!

Hopefully I'll be able to rest enough and get back my strength so I can run again.

6 comments:

Laura said...

praying for you:(

The Hilemans said...

Ugh- I'm so sorry you have it! Hope you can find lots of time to rest. That has been the hardest part for me. And hope your joints don't ache. My hips, knees and ankles have ached so much since mono that I can't imagine running! Wonder where you got it? I'm saying "not me" cause I haven't seen you in forever! Let me know if you need anything.

Nan said...

Rest up! I had mono right after graduation from high school (thank you very much rich!) and slept for two weeks straight! That was the worst I have ever felt, until this summer when I got pneumonia. You will get back into your running...it may take a while, but you will do it...you want to and that is what is most important!

anthonyandbeth said...

i'm so sorry Heather. i know how hard you have worked. you get better and then you'll be running in no time. you'll probably love it even more b/c you've been running all this time with mono and didn't even know it! :) you're not off the hook...maybe a 1/2 in the spring??? :)

Sandy M. said...

This must be very depressing for you, but God can "restore the years the locusts ate" in every circumstance. He can enable you to run again, & in His perfect timing (which is always better than ours!) JUst get plenty of rest now & keep your eyes on Jesus, what He has done already & what He WILL do in the future. Refuse negative thoughts & close your ears to negative comments, knowing that God is planning something so much better than you had planned!

jason and jen said...

I am praying for you. I had mono for the second time in April and I know what it is like to have mono and children at the same time! Your running is such a motivation to me!!!