Tuesday, July 6, 2010

healthy snacks



I love to encourage 'healthy' snacks which in the summer usually means frozen bananas, or grapes, 'blueberry crunchies' (which means frozen blueberries, plain yogurt, and wheat germ), frozen blueberries and milk (which turns into an ice cream type thing), homemade popsicles, popcorn, cut up veggies, fruit in a cloud, frozen fruit milkshakes, fruit salad, etc. My kids LOVE fruits (and the middle two love veggies) and freezing them only makes them yummier! They literally CHEER for frozen fruits! I have always told the kids that they can eat as many fruits or veggies they want for a snack...they don't have to ask. I learned my lesson with that a few weeks ago when three bags of grapes disappeared in a day. Now they have to ask:).

Braden came to me and asked if he could eat green onions for a snack. Backgroud: Braden LOVES all food. He is NOT picky and pretty much eats everything. The only thing he turns his nose at is steamed squash. (He like other kinds, just not steamed). He begs for mushrooms (they are his fav food), and finishes ALL the veggies at dinner. We never have leftover veggies because he just loves them! I did NOT think he'd eat the onions but of course I said yes. I don't know what they taste like as I am SUPER picky and quite the opposite of him with my eating. People tell me they are strong...and he kept saying they were spicy. BUT he ate them. Every single one...and with a smile on his face. Now he keeps asking me to buy more. Gotta love a veggie boy!

I'm SO thankful for summer fruits and summer sales because these kids eat us out of house and home when it comes to fruits and veggies!

1 comment:

Wilson Ramblings said...

I'm with you on kiddos eating us out of house and home. We spend a fortune (okay, maybe a small fortune) on produce! I knew a girl once who loved green onions and ate them right out of the grass/yard. They are supposedly good to fight free radicals in the body. :)