Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hip Hop Class...and passions



Cailey's been wanting to take a dance class for as long as I can remember...but she also wanted to do gymnastics, soccer, etc. I wanted to be sure she was old enough and could choose the style of dance to try. I did tap, ballet, and jazz for 12 years and was never flexible enough for the ballet and didn't want her to struggle with that (knowing we are the same in that area). SO her friend, Emilee, was taking a contemporary hip hop class at field of dreams (a CHRISTIAN dance studio...which I just thought was so neat) and she decided she wanted to give it a try. She LOVES going...and tries VERY hard...and has a lot of fun. There are a sweet group of girls in her class at all different abilities and so far it's going great.


sweet teacher...Ms. Lindsey is one of the owners daughters

I am definitely seeing how God led us to this school in seeing what else they offer...and seeing that Cailey's passions are coming out more this year than ever before. I found out about a homeschool band and REALLY wanted Cailey to want to do it. I already have a clarinet. I was a band geek and loved it...I was in marching band and always thought Cailey would want to do it too. I asked her...and told her it would require practice...just like piano. She was 'gone' when she heard the word practice. What?? I couldn't believe she didn't want to take advantage of a homeschool band and 'follow in my footsteps'. But thankfully Brian helped me see that it's not HER passion...and that's ok. We're never going to FORCE them to do any extra curricular activities because that's not fun for anyone. (Though I did think it was quite hilarious when she found out that Lindsey and Abby were in band...she suddenly wanted to join 6 weeks late but I knew better:).

HER passion....HER love is singing...and acting. That is SO not my passion but she loves it. That's why we let her do choir at two churches. That's why we were excited for her to do King's Kompany (and then bummed WITH her when we found out their shows are during our Disney stay). We weren't sure how to have her continue with singing once she hit 6th grade because that's when she'll age out of all the church choirs but then I found out that Field of Dreams offers Voice Lessons (which for vocal chords you shouldn't start until 6th grade anyway), then Broadway dance, and last Musical Theater...all back to back one day a week. Obviously it's two years away but it was neat to see how God is leading us to help our daughter pursue her passion.

1 comment:

Auntie Anne said...

Sounds like a wonderful place. I can't wait to see what God has in store for her in that area!