Sunday, August 31, 2008

snake bites and an interview

Cailey LOVES asking questions and talking about snakes! Especially about getting bit by a snake. Last Thursday I was getting questions like, "What does it feel like when you get bit by a snake? How long does it hurt? Do you have to get a shot too? How long does it stay in?" The list goes ON and ON! Now's the time I should probably say that those of you who don't know me well should understand how much I FEAR snakes!!! I mean...this is my BIGGEST phobia and it happens to be Cailey's obsession. It was a great opportunity for her to learn so we headed to the computer to look up things on snake bites. There wasn't really that much except for pictures of venomous snake bites..NOT PRETTY! Then I thought I'd head to YouTube and let her see some video of people getting bit by snakes. I know it sounds terrible, but she's fascinated and wanted to watch (while I turned the computer AWAY from my eyes) so I let her. UGH! Well...again...most of her questions weren't answered, but after all that snake talk and glimpses of the video I told her that if she had anymore questions to ask her daddy. I wouldn't talk to her about it ANYMORE! I did tell her that we could study some snakes in Science the following week though.

Fast forward to that evening when I went to a dinner with ladies from my Sunday School class. My friend, Sonja, came in with a bandage on her hand and a hospital bracelet on her wrist. She was BIT by a SNAKE that very day! I could not believe this...my biggest fear! I felt TERRIBLE for her and the pain she had to go through! After hearing her story I asked her if she would be willing to talk to Cailey about the experience. She was SO gracious to come over the next day and let Cailey 'interview' her! I had Cailey write down all of her 'interview' questions that morning so she would be all ready when Sonja came. Oh Boy...she asked her SO many questions! Poor Sonja probably felt like she was re-living the whole thing! Cailey hasn't asked me anymore questions about it though..and is looking forward to learning more about them next week! Thanks so much, Sonja!


'interviewing'


checking out the bite...see Cailey's hand on her head? she ONLY
does that when she's really tired or nervous. I'm guessing
she was nervous about the snake stuff because she did that the
WHOLE time Sonja was talking about it

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe that happened! I'm glad Cailey got to learn about snakes as much as you don't like them.

Anonymous said...

That is TOO funny. And your dig looked like lots of fun:)

Sherri said...

I think some one needs to take Sonja out for ice cream or something.

anthonyandbeth said...

oh my goodness! this is hilarious. not for sonja of course but that cailey was able to get an interview with a live snake bite victim!!!! oh my!!!

Janet said...

Love it!! Cailey pretty much looks like we did when Sonja told us women about her snake bite. Course us grown adults were shrieking (guilty of that myself) and here Cailey just puts her hand on her head. Very mature for her age. :)