Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pottery Class


 Mom set up a pottery class for the kids to take while we were on our nine day vacation there this month. They started from a chunk of wet clay and rolled it out into a circle and cut it to make a plate.
 They each chose a design for their plates then got to work.  Their personalities DEFINITELY came out in decorating/painting/and designing them. Ephram chose a doggie...and apparently wanted it to look patriotic:).  Nonny helped oversee him.  He loved being included and making one!

Kinsey girl wanted everything possible on her plate...flowers, hearts, butterflies, etc and ALL different colors!  She is such a free spirit and is just happy to be making one, caring less if it matches or what it looks like. I love that about her...she is SO opposite than me. I wish I didn't care so much!

Braden wanted to make a Yoda Monkey plate:).  He was incorporating two of the things he loves...monkey's and Star Wars. He also did his completely on his own and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cailey made a pretty plate with spirals, hearts, and butterflies. Her goal was to make it and then have us hang it up in her room as a decoration so she chose to paint it yellow, lime green, hot pink, and turquoise. She wanted a TON of input in her choices and help to make it 'perfect'. I tried my BEST to let her do it so it could be 'hers' but she really wanted backup.

I can't wait to see how they turned out!  I'm guessing we'll get them the next time we see mom since they had to dry then be baked in the kiln.

This experience was a PERFECT field trip for homeschooling. They created something from started to finish and were even able to see people throwing pottery on wheels. We had a great time at the farm!

No comments: