Thursday, April 22, 2010

Physicals and Shots



Today went much better than I expected. I took Benadryl last night (for the first time) and had a good night's sleep with no itching! The doctor appointment went as well as expected and actually only last two hours (instead of the three predicted).

Physicals:

Braden went first. Everything looks great...except he's still not on the growth chart. Not the American one or the Korean one. However...he IS growing. He grew 2 inches this year. He's 40.25 inches and weighs 32 lbs. His eyes are the same- he has trouble seeing far away but we always forget about his glasses because they aren't needed at home.

Kinsey went next. Since she's 4 1/2 they decided to do the 5 year old check up and won't need to see her again until she's 6. Crazy how as babies they go to the doctor so often and now only need to go every other year. For some reason I had it in my head that they always went once a year. She had a vision screening and didn't do well...so we'll be heading to the eye doctor sometime in the near future. I'm hoping it's a fluke, but we'll see. Everything else was great. She is 39.75 inches...(just 1/2 in. behind Braden) and weighs 32 lbs (same as Braden). Kinsey is actually on the AMERICAN growth chart and is in the 25th for height and 10th for weight. She's taller than Cailey was at her age!

Ephram went last. He's doing great too. He's started pulling up on toy baskets (sniff, sniff...he's growing up so fast!), crawling SUPER fast, waving, doing "SO BIG", trying to sign 'more' and imitating "NO". He doesn't really do it if he's not in the mood. He weighs 18 lbs 3 oz (5th % on American growth chart) and is 28 inches (20th% on AGC).

Shots:

We had a LONG talk as a family last night about things we could do that would help us not be scared. We also decided that Kinsey should pick a special supper if she didn't cry BEFORE (pretty much the whole time) her shots. She picked Chinese food:). I knew the appointment would be a couple hours and didn't want crying for two/three hours before the shots. She brought her blankie and fruit snacks for after. I told them that when I have something painful done I always recite a verse or song in my head over and over to help calm me. Cailey decided she wanted to say Psalm 23. I didn't care if they cried during or after...just not for two hours before.

Cailey wanted to go first. She usually wants to go after Braden so she can see how brave he is but this time wanted to get it over with. She did AWESOME and all she got out was, "The Lord is my"! She was a little nervous right before but did GREAT! She was thrilled!

Braden went second. He was actually a little nervous before too but wanted to 'blow out the candle' when the needle went in. He did AWESOME too and it was over quick!

Kinsey went third. I found out TODAY that instead of the one shot we were expecting, they wanted to go ahead and give her the five year old ones. Uh Oh. I didn't tell her...I couldn't bring myself to. She was being so brave the whole time and I didn't have the heart to tell her she was going to be having FOUR shots. She did get a little upset right before but she had her blankie and fruit snacks. The nurse did it as fast as possible but sweet Kinsey was kicking and pulling all over the place. She's gonna have a bruise from one of them because of the kicking but she calmed down really quickly. Last time she cried and cried for an hour afterwards. This time she was done after a couple minutes. I was SO proud of her!

Ephram went last. Kinsey wasn't crying and wanted to stay in the room with him. She remained calm (praise the Lord!). He knew something was up and just stared at the nurse. He had to get two today.

I could feel the prayers! Even when Kinsey dropped my D 90 and the lens broke into pieces I could feel the prayers. I was able to hug my babies and just didn't think about the poison ivy. Thanks for praying!!

Oh...and on a funny note, when I asked Kinsey what kind of Chinese food she wanted to get she said, "fren fry and cheese burger.":) We all had a laugh at that! I asked her again if she wanted Chinese and she said yes...hopefully when it comes she won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm SO glad it went ok!! So cool to read about it....how they are all growing:)

on another note:
p-a-c-k-p-l-a-y:)

The Hilemans said...

Glad you had a good day at the doctor with FOUR KIDS! I can't imagine taking all three at once. Well, I can, because I have, but all those bodies in one small room make me stressed out. So good job preparing for and carrying out a good visit! And, by the looks of the table and mirror, we must go to the same pediatrician. :)

The lens part makes me very sad. I would have been crying over that.