Tuesday, June 19, 2012

a new deck!


We've needed a new deck since we moved into our house but kept putting it on the back burner because Brian thought he wouldn't be able to do it and we needed to hire someone. The wood was very splintered and rotted in spots but we hadn't talked about it in a couple years. Brian RANDOMLY told me after his mom left that he was going to redo the deck...and I was flabbergasted! He went to Home Depot and came home with the wood then started taking it apart over Memorial Day weekend. I.was.shocked!! We are not very handy and don't usually tackle such jobs alone but I was certainly going to help him so first we took off the wood. After pulling all of the rusty nails out of the wood so no one would step on them I cut the boards down with a saw thingy (very descriptive, I know), using my first power tool ever. Brian was shocked to see me doing it...but hey, it needed to get done! Then I piled all the old wood up and got the kids to help put it in the van so it could be taken to the dump.

This was the original plan:
day 1- take the whole thing apart
day 2- put the whole thing back together
day 3- stain

Seemed very reasonable to me, and it would be done in time for Brian to go back to work on Tuesday...or not. Unfortunately rain kept stopping us so we didn't get finished rebuilding it all until Tuesday...yep...he had to take Tuesday off so he could finish!! Then it rained everyday so the wood was too wet to stain until the next weekend. Thankfully it got finished and we still have all of our fingers:)!


sanding the posts with the kiddos...great bonding activity!! then we had to sand all the green stamps off of the deck boards.


It may not be professional but it looks AMAZING and there are no more splinters!! I am SO proud of Brian for stepping up and deciding he was going to do this on his own! I am also glad that we did it together and thankful it turned out great. The hardest part for him was figuring out how to do the steps...and it took hours! Neither one of us are very good at math..and angles...so it was a GREAT lesson for the kiddos to do better than we did in math!

Thank you, honey!! We saved TONS of money:)!!

No comments: