Sunday, August 5, 2012

First Broken Bone.

I never broke a bone as a kid. None of the kids have ever broken a bone. With all the falling down and as active as our family is it's a surprise it's never happened before. Until today, that is.

Cailey had just finished watching a movie in my room. Braden and Nicky were playing Legos and school in the school room. Kinsey and Abby were playing pet shop in the girls room. I told Cailey that she should get up and see if she could play for a while so she could get some energy back. Her throat wasn't hurting as much today and she seemed a little better. I told her about how my friends and I used to "launch" each other off of our feet into the air when I was a kid. She wanted me to do it to her.

So we did airplane the normal way (with my feet on her tummy lifting her up in the air). Then she turned around and sat on my feet and I launched her up and she landed on her feet in my room. Kinsey and Abby came in and wanted turns. I did it to Kinsey once and she fell on her bottom. All the girls were laughing and wanted another turn. We shut the door to my room and I told Kinsey she could have just ONE more turn. I launched her up....Ephram opened the door to come in...giant Legos were in the hall outside my room...Kinsey landed on his leg and the Legos were underneath him.

Mommy's instinct told me immediately that his leg was broken. He was crying...not screaming...but loud. a hurt sad constant cry. I just knew. I picked him up and ran him down to Brian and told him that Ephram's leg was broken. Brian checked it out and thought it was fine. He was moving it in different directions and Ephram was SCREAMING. Brian kept thinking it would get better. I went to rock him and read him books but he was whimpering and crying the whole time. I gave him chocolate and offered him popsicles but he didn't want any of it. After half a book I went to put him down to walk and he just collapsed, screaming. I.was.done.

I went to Brian for a second time and said I was going to the ER. Brian looked at his leg again and it was swelled up like a golf ball...he agreed. Mama just KNEW!

Ephram cried all the way there...so did I. I was FREAKING out on the phone with my mom and just couldn't believe my baby had a broken leg!! Mom got me to pull myself together before going in.



When I went in they put us in a wheelchair because Ephram didn't want me to let him go. After finally getting checked in and put in a room we snuggled and he watched Toy Storybook on the ipad. He was still wincing and crying off and on...VERY sad:(. The doctor came in (after tons of other people) and checked out his leg...moving around his knee and ankle. At the moment she was in, he didn't wince or move..BUT you could see the golf ball 'sticking out' of the side of his leg. She said she thought it wasn't broken because he wasn't screaming more. I told her that it was a brief 'quiet' moment.

Move on to xrays...where he did great. Just sat still and didn't move. Finally they gave him motrin.

After 20 minutes he sat right up and in a normal voice said, "Oh! I can sit up now! Oh! and I can touch my leg, too!" I had my boy back, thanks to a little Motrin!



The xrays revealed a break and almost a splinter of his Tibia. He did awesome as they wrapped it up and the nurses were still SHOCKED that he wasn't screaming. They think he must have a high pain tolerance..which we have never thought about him! OR the meds helped a ton..or both:).



He sat in the wheelchair by himself on the way out and came home totally expecting popsicles and movies, just like Cailey had:). He's wanting to be treated like a tonsillectomy patient with lots of juice, popsicles, slushies, etc. Hilarious!



He is not allowed to put ANY weight on it and has to be carried wherever he wants to go. He's too young for crutches so it'll be an interesting month..or more. He'll keep this 'splint' on his leg until later in the week so the swelling can go down and then we go to an Orthopedic.

Right now I'm praying for no pain for him, Cailey to be completely healed, a water proof cast since we are going to the beach on the 18th!!, and that it will heal perfectly. I'm very thankful for technology for prayer support and a way to keep family updated!!


1 comment:

Joy for the Seasons said...

Oh my poor little friend! While it won't work a lot in the house, I say use a wagon as much as you can! ;)