Friday, August 31, 2012

Skories and Junk.


Ephram LOVES telling "skories" with me whenever it's just the two of us. Usually it's at naptime or at night but sometimes if we're playing he wants to hear one too. He'll ask, "mommy? do you have another skory in your brain to tell me?" I then tell him one and next he takes a turn. His stories usually go something like this:,

"Once upon a time there was a mommy and a GIANT GIANT turtle (insert lion/spider...he loves choosing animals). The mommy rode on the turtle then a spider came but Frank took my shoe and smashed him with it so the mommy didn't get hurt. But it was a nice spider. So it wouldn't hurt mommy. Because then I would save her. Ok, Mommy. Do you have another one for me yet? Is it in your brain yet?"

I LOVE that he knows that stories come from your 'brain' just because once I told him I needed to think of one. He's very interested in Science and the human body. He constantly asks things like, "What's inside bones?", "Why are the blue veins on your arm?", "Is this my arm ankle?" (wrist...LOVE!), What's inside my toes?...the list goes on and on. And I love it!

This week I decided to get the kids anatomy book and teach him about veins, arteries, and anything else he wanted to read about. He seriously soaked it up. Two nights later he said what I thought was, "Mommy...you're not supposed to be drunk" while we were telling stories. Ummm...what? Brian looked up and said buddy, what's drunk (b/c that's not a term we use in the house). Ephram replied, "you know, like chips, soda, candy" OH...you said junk?? Ephram said, "Yes! You're not supposed to eat junk". That's right buddy, so what's NOT junk? (Ephram is the junk lover of the family so I was especially curious to see what he'd say.)

Peaches, Green Beans, Milk's not junk, right mommy? (no, buddy), water, grapes, cheese, bananas, frozen bananas, apples, peas...and goes on to list appropriate foods. We were shocked as we've not sat down and had a 'good food/junk food' conversation with him before. I asked where he learned it and he said it was in the Science book! Wow.

No comments: