Wednesday, May 7, 2008

berry happy bakers!

After Cailey got home from school today I decided it would be a great time to tackle all those berries we picked! We've been using them on cereal and in milkshakes but I hadn't gotten around to baking until today. Sooo the kids helped me slice, dice, measure, mix, and pour all the ingredients! They had so much fun making the bread that I decided to let them make some muffins too. After the muffins we smushed and simmered some sugary strawberries to make syrup for our pancake dinner (that the kids decided we were having as soon as they heard me mention that I could show them how to make syrup)! Everything turned out awesome..my fav was the bread...the kids loved all of it:)! They each had AT LEAST FIVE pancakes!!! I couldn't believe it...they kept asking for more and they LOVED painting the strawberry syrup on each one! While I was driving Cailey home from Awana tonight she said, "wow mommy, it's a good thing you had us to help or you never would have been able to make all those things...we had great attitudes so we got it all done!" What a great perspective...next time you are rushing to finish something remember those little 'helpful' hands.



my friend Laura tells me I have every kitchen tool...we don't eat
eggs, but LOVE using the egg slicer on berries:)

The outcome:


YUM

3 comments:

Nan said...

Looks yummy! Got a recipe for the bread/ muffins? We are going to be picking berries really soon here too!

Heather said...

it's actually two different recipes. they'll be in the new cookbook but I can email them sooner if you need:)

anthonyandbeth said...

email me the muffins/bread recipes. you can't do this to a poor pregnant woman! now i'm having terrible cravings just from reading this post!!!