Saturday, March 1, 2008

Curriculum

Some of you have been asking me about the curriculum I'm using with Cailey next year so I thought I'd do a post on it. I have gotten lots of advice from a great homeschooling friend and done some research on my own. In the end I chose to follow the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. It's a classical approach to education which I love because subjects are taught as interrelated. Nothing is taught in isolation, but instead is braided together with everything else !! I highly recommend this book to anyone considering homeschooling as I've learned a great deal from it. Here's a few highlights of what I'm doing, but for more detail check out the book!

Math: Saxon
Reading: The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
Handwriting: Zaner Bloser
Spelling: Spelling Workout A
Grammar: First Language Lessons
History and Geography: The Story of the World
Science: Focus on Life Science (Animals, Human Body, and Plants)...there's not really a text for this, instead we'll be using a couple of the Kingfisher First Encyclopedia's, etc.
Sign Language: No text...just me
Music: A study of classical music...just listening and discussing
Art: I plan on signing her up for an art class but if you know me, we'll be doing LOTS of art projects.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Be ready to be utterly amazed!!

Not that you already aren't amazed at your intelligent children.

And....congrats on being SO organized months in advance. Now you can sit back and enjoy the summer!