Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ancient Egypt




We learned about hieroglyphs (from Egypt) and cuniform (from Sumer) in History so I thought maybe the kids could try it out. They worked HARD on it and did a GREAT job spelling their names. Cailey did both and Braden was able to write his name in hieroglyphics. This was amazing to me because everything was so small and hard for them to replicate.

I've had these magnetic tangrams for years and the kids haven't shown much interest in them until recently. They played with them maybe every six months, but for the last couple of weeks they have been out every day! They spend hours creating pyramids, nomad huts, and bug houses (don't know where the last one came from, but hey!) The awesome thing about it is that it wasn't my idea....they've been doing it all by themselves. When I heard the words 'pyramid' and 'nomad hut' I about fell over..but was very excited:).

2 comments:

Eve said...

that has got to feel good knowing that you really are imparting knowledge to them through home schooling! I think it is awesome that your kiddos are generalizing the information that they are learning!

Janet said...

You are SO taking me down memory lane! I know I keep saying this, but I can't wait to do Ancients next year!