Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Situpons and the Girl Scout Law


Cailey drawing a picture of being
'kind and helpful'

Cailey had her first 'official' girl scout meeting this week (since she was sick the last one) and had a blast. I was a girl scout for 11 years and it's funny to see what things have changed and what has stayed the same. I remember most of the 'law' and all the songs, the promise, the handshake, etc. so it's neat to be able to share it with Cailey. This week I was able to teach the girls a couple of the songs!
Cailey learned how to sew a button on and made a situpon (sit-a-pon) by stuffing it and helping sew it closed. I don't have any pics of the sewing or stuffing because I was making sure no one got hurt with the needles! Situpons these days look a lot like fluffy pillows...IN MY DAY we used vinyl table cloths stuffed with newspaper and 'sewed' them with plastic:) Wow...in my day..that was 26 years ago!! After they made the situpons they learned some of the Girl Scout Law and had to draw a picture of some part of it.
Our Fridays are turning out to be SUPER busy!

2 comments:

Nan said...

I loved my situpon!

Janet said...

I have never heard of a situpon. Thanks for the education! We did 4-H growing up. What do you expect from Iowa farm folk.