Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Snake Game

One of the MANY books we checked out for history this week had 100 interesting facts about Ancient Egypt. It was pretty wordy but had great illustrations and was easy to pick and choose from. It's SO funny to me to see just what the kids remember from ALL the stuff they hear me read. We ended up meeting someone for lunch the day I first read some from the book and Cailey told Marsie that people used to worship brains in baskets....OH BOY...that was fun to explain:). (She was meaning that when mummies were made they took out their organs and put them in pots. If it was a Pharoah who had died people continued to worship it and would bow down to the pot.) It was true so I was excited she had picked up something but it was just funny to me that it was the grossest thing we read about. Braden responded after Cailey by saying, "and each big stone for the pyramids weighed more than 2 1/2 elephants." It was an A-HA moment for me that things are sinking in:).
One of the interesting facts in the book was about games the kids used to play and they had a game called, The Snake Game, which looked simple enough to replicate. The kids and I went to work on it and had a lot of fun making it AND playing it. We've played it several times and even changed some rules to make it harder.





No comments: