Saturday, September 6, 2008

on to 'real' books!

Saturday night, after the kids jumped, Poppy wanted to go to Barnes and Noble to get a book. We went to the kids section to read to them while Poppy looked around for a bit. Braden said, "Look, there's a Biscuit chapter book." I asked him if he wanted to read it and he said yes. I meant that I would read it to him, but he started reading it to me! He's been reading sight words, word family books, and little readers for a while but I had never tried a 'real' book before. He always reads the Dr. Seuss books and others in his room...but I ASSUMED he had memorized them. NOT SO MUCH! He READ me the Biscuit book! He needed NO help! Some of the words were pretty hard too. I just sat there with my mouth open and kept saying, "dad...he's reading this..watch! Brian, I can't believe it...he's REALLY reading it!" It was a book he hadn't seen before so I knew it wasn't memorized. I was SO excited for him:)!! Wednesday when we went to the library I not only got Cailey a ton of 'chapter' books to read, but got him some too:). I can't believe how easy it has been to teach this boy to read..he is SUCH a sponge for reading and it's always been his favorite thing to do. I'm SO proud of you Braden!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an awesome moment that must have been! That is so neat:)

anthonyandbeth said...

i can't get enough of harrison reading to me! braden is such a smart boy and a sweetie pie too! i could just eat him up!!! :) thanks again for dinner tonight! it was delicious and the fellowship was GREAT! :)

Sherri said...

Sarah loves reading Biscuit books too! Congrats to Braden - he's so young, a boy of all things, and had 6 months of Korean before coming to the US - making his reading all the more amazing.

Eve said...

What an amazing little boy! I am glad that he loves reading! So awesome that you can teach him and that he is learning so much and that you are seeing the benefits of that!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Go Braden!!!!